Jan 27, 2011

Tango



Tango... Just say the word and everyone will know what you are talking about.
Two things that go together like peas in a pod are Buenos Aires and tango. Everywhere you go in Buenos Aires you will see advertisements for fancy Tango/Dinner shows, milongas (local tango dance halls) or tango lessons. Even most hostels will offer you a tango lesson when you check in. That was at least what happened at my hostel in Buenos Aires. But before you imagine me getting my tango-groove on, I have to disappoint you. I didn’t take any lessons. I thought about it, but as I’m a bit too shy and self-conscious I just couldn’t get myself to do it. I mean you have to get really close to a person you don’t know! Your faces will literally be touching!

Tango in the street in La Boca

I still saw a lot of tango though. In most of the really touristy areas like San Telmo or La Boca, there will usually be a few couples showing their moves for small change. In addition, I happened to be in Buenos Aires while they celebrated “The International Day of Tango” (I’m not kidding – it exists!). Several stages where placed along Av de Mayo which is the main street running from Plaza del Congreso to Plaza de Mayo. All during the night several famous tango singers and dancers performed. In between shows, tango music would be playing and the local porteños, both old and young, would get up on the stages and dance. That was by far my favorite part as it really showed the spirit of the dance and how big a part of people’s everyday lives it is.


Professional dancers at "The International Day of Tango"


Professional dancers at "The International Day of Tango"


Locals take the stage at "The International Day of Tango"


Next time I’m in Buenos Aires I will take a lesson… Maybe…

No comments:

Post a Comment